Salt-, Peppercorn- and Herb-Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Red Wine Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional for pan
- 1 (3-1/2 lb.) beef tenderloin, at room temperature
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons dried pink peppercorns, crushed, plus whole peppercorns for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 large egg whites
- 8 fresh bay leaves, for garnish
- 1 recipe Wild Mushroom Red Wine Sauce (see Recipe Center)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degree F and arrange rack in upper third; lightly brush a shallow baking pan with oil. Rinse beef and pat dry. Heat oil in a large skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add beef and brown on all sides, turning, about 8 minutes. Transfer to prepared pan. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together salt, rosemary, crushed peppercorns, and flour. Add egg whites and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water; stir until it is the consistency of a paste. Pat onto top and sides of beef (not bottom), coating completely.
3. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center by 2 inches register 125 degree F for medium-rare, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
4. Present beef on a large grooved cutting board garnished with bay leaves and whole peppercorns, if desired (note: whole bay leaves are not edible); let stand 10 minutes.
5. Chip off crust (discard) and cut beef into 1/4-inch-thick slices; arrange on a serving platter. Spoon some sauce over slices and top with reserved mushrooms. Serve remaining sauce in a gravy boat on the side. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)43,
- sat. fat(g)17,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!