Short Ribs with Cheesy Polenta
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions (from a 16-ounce bag)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus additional for garnish
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano
1. Combine carrot, onions and garlic in a 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Rinse ribs and pat dry; season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large, wide pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add ribs, in batches, and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes. Transfer, as cooked, to slow cooker.
3. Stir together tomatoes, broth, wine, parsley, cornstarch and tomato paste in a bowl; pour over ribs. Add bay leaf. Cover and cook, 9 to 11 hours on low or 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours on high. Skim off any fat from top (discard bay leaf).
4. Combine 3-3/4 cups water, the polenta and salt in a large saucepan over moderately high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add cheese and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Serve ribs over polenta and garnish with parsley, if desired.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)15,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet