Southwest Brisket with Corn Cakes
- 1 1 3/4 - 2 pound boneless beef brisket, flat cut
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 12 ounce jar chili sauce
- 1 12 ounce can beer
- 1 teaspoon chopped chipotle chile in adobo*
- 1 8 ounce can cream-style corn
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 8 ounce can whole-kernel corn, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- Avocado, red onion and red bell pepper, for garnish
1. Heat oven to 325 degree F. Sprinkle brisket with salt. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in heavy Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown beef, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion; cook 4 to 5 minutes, until softened. Add chili powder; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in chili sauce, beer and chipotle. Add brisket and bring mixture to a boil. Cover and bake 2 hours to 2 hours 15 minutes, until beef is fork-tender.
2. For the corn cakes, about 15 minutes before brisket is done, process cream-style corn, flour, milk, egg, sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor, just until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl; stir in whole-kernel corn and cilantro. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon batter into skillet by scant 1/4 cupfuls, 1 inch apart. Cook 1-1/2 minutes, until bubbles appear evenly over top; turn and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to plate. Cover and keep warm. Repeat process 3 more times with remaining batter, using 1 teaspoon oil per batch of Corn Cakes.
3. Transfer brisket to a cutting board. Cut across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Transfer to serving platter with Corn Cakes. Spoon some sauce over brisket. Serve with remaining sauce and garnish with avocado, onion and bell pepper, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
- Can be found in ethnic section of most supermarkets, or in Spanish or Latino specialty markets.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare brisket as directed above. Cover and chill up to 24 hours. To reheat, bake, covered, in a 325 degree F oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until heated through.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)33,
- sat. fat(g)13,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!