Yield: 40 meatballs Prep 40 mins Bake 400°F 18 mins
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 cups cubed fresh bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 pounds 90-percent lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fines herbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1. Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Spray two 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pans with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook about 8 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a large bowl and cool.
3. Soak the bread cubes in the milk in a small bowl 1 minute, then squeeze very dry, discarding milk. Add bread to onions with the beef, eggs, salt, nutmeg, fines herbs, paprika, mustard, and pepper; mix well. Shape into forty 1-1/2 inch balls. Arrange on the prepared jelly-roll pans. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, turning meatballs once and rotating pans halfway through. Remove meatballs from pans and set aside.
4. Pour 2 tablespoons of water into each jelly-roll pan, scraping up browned bits from bottom. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and tomato paste and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the beef broth, water, and drippings from jelly-roll pans. Bring to a boil. Add meatballs to skillet. Sprinkle with dill. Makes 40 meatballs.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare meatballs and sauce as directed above. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Reheat in skillet with 1/4 cup more water about 20 minutes or until hot.
- Fat, total(g)4,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet