Apple Dutch Babies
These giant popovers, filled with caramelized apples, make a fun dessert for entertaining.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 pounds Golden Delicious or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- Additional maple syrup for serving, optional
1. Heat oven to 425 degree F. Remove top oven rack. Position other rack in lower third of oven. Combine eggs, milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla, salt and lemon peel in large mixer bowl. Add flour and beat 1 minute.
2. Place 2 teaspoons of the butter in each of two 9-inch glass pie plates. Heat plates in oven 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Divide batter between plates. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until pancakes are puffed and golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 3 tablespoons sugar and the apples. Cook, stirring, until apples begin to brown, 12 to 18 minutes. Add 1/2 cup maple syrup and boil 1 minute.
4. Spoon apples into centers of pancakes. Serve with additional maple syrup, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)11,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet