Not only are herb and cheese biscuits fantastic with a ham dinner, they pair well with soups and salads too.
Yield: 22 biscuits Prep 20 mins Start to Finish 40 mins
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 tablespoons salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups (6 oz.) grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 cups heavy cream, plus additional for brushing biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F and arrange rack in center. Lightly grease 2 large cookie sheets.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add butter and, using fingertips, rub into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Using a fork, stir in cheddar and chives until combined well. Using fork, stir in cream. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 8 times, until it just holds together. Pat into a 1/2-inch-thick round, 12 inches in diameter. Using a 2-1/2-inch biscuit or flower cookie cutter, cut out shapes. Repeat, reusing scraps, to make a total of 22 biscuits.
3. Arrange biscuits 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets, brush tops with cream and bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer biscuits on sheets to a rack and cool 5 minutes. Using a metal spatula, transfer biscuits to rack and cool to lukewarm. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 22 biscuits.
- Fat, total(g)17,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet