Slightly sweet but bursting with the intense flavor of dried cranberries and orange peel, these scones add a special treat to a weekend brunch.
Yield: 8 scones Prep 12 mins Bake 400°F 16 mins to 18 mins
- 1 medium orange
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups self-rising all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk, divided
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, cut up
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a large cookie sheet. Grate 1 teaspoon peel from orange. Cut orange in half and squeeze 1/4 cup juice.
2. Combine orange juice and cranberries in cup. Whisk flour, 1/4 cup sugar, caraway seeds and salt in bowl. Beat egg and 1/4 cup milk in a cup. Cut butter into flour mixture, until coarse crumbs form. Add orange juice, cranberries and milk mixture, stirring just until dough forms a ball (do not overmix). Turn dough out onto floured board.
3. Lightly knead dough 5 or 6 times. Shape into a 6-inch circle on prepared cookie sheet. Combine remaining 2 teaspoons sugar and orange peel in a cup. Brush top of dough with remaining 1 tablespoon milk; sprinkle with orange topping. Cut into 8 wedges, but do not separate. Bake 16 to 18 minutes, until golden.
- If the orange topping seems too moist to sprinkle, gently spread it with your fingertips.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet