Peppermint Fluff Brownies
Yield: 24, 2-1/2-inch squares Prep 40 mins Start to Finish 2 hrs
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Cracked peppermint candies
- 1 recipe Peppermint Fluff (recipe below)
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-13-inch pan with a strip of foil or parchment, allowing edges to hang over opposite sides.
2. Melt butter and chocolate in a microwave or double boiler; cool slightly. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, sugars and vanilla; whisk in melted chocolate. Fold in flour until just combined. Stir in walnuts, if using.
3. Spread batter in an even layer in pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs, 20 to 22 min (don't overbake). Cool completely in pan.
4. Make topping and spread over brownies; let set at room temperature, 30 min. Lift brownies from pan using the parchment overhand. Lightly coat a knife with cooking spray, then trim 1/4 inch off crisp edges of brownies to make clean sides. Cut brownies into squares, cleaning knife after every cut. Sprinkle candy over top. Makes 24, 2-1/2-inch squares.
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Monosaturated fat(g)3,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)0,
- Trans fatty acid(g)0,
- vit. A(IU)194,
- vit. C(mg)0,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg)0,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg)0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 - 4 drops red food coloring
1. Make this when you're ready to frost cooled brownies. In a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water, combine sugar, egg whites and salt. Whisk until sugar is dissolved completely and mixture is hot, about 5 min. Remove from heat, add peppermint extract and red food coloring and whip with electric mixer until mixture holds firm peaks, about 9 min.