Burnt-Sugar Chiffon Cake
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
DirectionsMake Burnt-Sugar Syrup::
1. Heat the 3/4 cup sugar without stirring in small saucepan over low heat to a deep amber color, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Carefully stir in water with a long-handled spoon (mixture will bubble vigorously). Cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes more. Cool completely.
2. Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Heat to 325 degree F. Sift flour, the 1 cup sugar, the baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Make a well in center. Pour in 1/2 cup of the Burnt-Sugar Syrup, the oil, egg yolks, water, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth; set aside.
3. Beat egg whites in clean mixer bowl with clean beaters at medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat at high speed until stiff. Gently fold yolk mixture into egg whites. Spoon batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted halfway between tube and side of pan comes out clean. Invert pan onto a bottle and cool completely.Make Glaze::
4. Heat 1/2 cup of the Burnt-Sugar Syrup to boiling in saucepan; boil 3 minutes. Gradually stir in cream; boil 3 minutes more. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter. Cool.
5. Unmold cake onto serving plate. Drizzle top with Glaze. Store leftover cake, covered, in refrigerator. Makes 16 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 16
- Fat, total(g)11,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet