Lemon Chiffon Cake
- 2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 large eggs, separated, plus 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1. Heat oven to 325 degree F. Sift flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt into large bowl. Make a wide well in center. Add oil, egg yolks, lemon peel, water, and lemon juice. Whisk until smooth; set aside.
2. Beat all egg whites in large bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until frothy. Add cream of tartar. Gradually increasing speed, continue beating to stiff peaks. Gradually pour yolk mixture in thin, steady stream into beaten whites, folding in gently with rubber spatula.
3. Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake 65 to 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted halfway between tube and side of pan comes out clean and cake springs back when touched gently. Immediately invert pan onto neck of funnel or bottle; let hang until completely cool, about 3 hours.
4. To loosen, run metal spatula or knife around side of pan and tube. Invert pan again and remove cake. Turn cake upright onto serving plate.Make Glaze::
5. Whisk all glaze ingredients together in small bowl until smooth. Drizzle top of Cake with glaze. Makes 16 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 16
- Fat, total(g)8,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet