Lemon Chiffon Flower Cake
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 3 - 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pasteurized dried egg whites
- Miniature yellow roses
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- Lemon leaves
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Sift cake flour, 1-1/4 cups of the granulated sugar, the baking powder and salt into bowl. Whisk in peel. Make a wide well in center. Add water, oil, egg yolks, whole eggs and the 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Whisk until smooth.
2. Beat egg whites in a large bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Gradually increase speed and beat to very stiff peaks, 7 minutes. Gently fold whites into yolk mixture until smooth.
3. Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until cake tester inserted halfway between tube and side of pan comes out clean. Immediately invert and hang pan on neck of bottle until completely cool, 1 hour.
4. To unmold, run a metal spatula or thin knife around side of pan and tube; invert pan and remove cake. Turn cake upright onto serving plate.Make Glaze::
5. Whisk confectioners' sugar and 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice in bowl until smooth (adding remaining 1 tablespoon juice if necessary). Pour over top of Cake, allowing Glaze to drip down sides. Let stand until Glaze sets.Make Sugared Flowers::
6. Line a jelly-roll pan with wax paper. Beat dried egg whites and water in small bowl according to package directions just until powder is dissolved; spoon off foam. Holding one flower bud, lightly brush both sides of each petal with egg white, using a small paintbrush. Spread superfine sugar in pie plate. Holding bud over pie plate, sprinkle each petal with sugar. Repeat with remaining flowers. Makes enough to coat about eight flowers. Place buds on prepared pan and let stand, uncovered. until completely dry, 2 hours or overnight.
7. Decorate cake with Sugared Flowers and lemon leaves. To serve, discard lemon leaves. Remove flowers and slice cake. Makes 12 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare Cake. Cover and freeze before glazing for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature 30 minutes. Glaze as directed.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Fat, total(g)13,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet