Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tablespoons cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Confectioners' sugar
1. Grind poppy seeds in spice mill, coffee grinder, or blender, scraping sides, until ground fine. Transfer to small saucepan with milk and lemon peel. Bring just to boil over high heat, stirring once. Remove from heat and let stand at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.
2. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Coat 8-cup fluted tube pan or Bundt pan with vegetable cooking spray. Coat with flour; tap out excess.
3. Combine 1 cup of the granulated sugar, the oil, yogurt, applesauce, whole egg, vanilla, and poppy-seed mixture in large bowl. Do not stir. Set aside.
4. Sift cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in another large bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar to stiff peaks.
5. Beat poppy-seed mixture until blended. At low speed, gradually beat in dry ingredients. Fold in egg whites. Spoon into prepared pan.
6. Bake cake 45 minutes for Bundt pan, 60 minutes for tube pan or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool. Sift confectioners sugar on top. Makes 16 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare cake. Wrap well in plastic wrap and freeze up to 1 month. Thaw at room tempeature 4 hours before serving.
- Servings Per Recipe 16
- Fat, total(g)6,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet