Low-fat Carrot Cake
Many carrot cakes require a lot of oil for moistness. This recipe uses yogurt and lots of shredded carrots to create a moist but low-fat dessert.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pound carrots, shredded
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 10-cup Bundt pan with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt in large bowl. Whisk brown sugar, yogurt, oil, whole eggs, egg whites, and vanilla together in another bowl until well blended. Stir in carrots and flour mixture just until blended.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.Make glaze::
4. Stir confectioners' sugar and juice together in bowl until smooth. Spread glaze over cake.
- Servings Per Recipe 16
- Fat, total(g)6,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet