Marble Chiffon Cake with Mascarpone and Raspberries
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising), sifted
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 pound (2 cups) mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 1/2 fresh raspberries, divided
- 1 1/2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two 15-1/2x10-1/2-inch jelly-roll pans with wax paper.
2. Sift flour, 1-1/4 cups of the granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Make a wide well in center. Add 3/4 cup of the water, oil, egg yolks, whole eggs and the 1 tablespoon vanilla. Whisk until smooth; set aside.
3. Beat egg whites in large bowl on medium speed of electric mixer until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Gradually increase speed and beat to very stiff peaks, 7 minutes. Gently fold one third of whites into yolk mixture, then fold in remaining whites until smooth.
4. Microwave remaining 1/4 cup water, cocoa and espresso powder in glass measure on 100 percent power (High) 45 seconds; stir until smooth. Spoon 3 cups of the vanilla batter into bowl and gently fold in chocolate mixture. Divide and spread remaining vanilla batter evenly in prepared pans. Drop chocolate batter by large spoonfuls over vanilla batter. Run knife through batters to marbleize. Bake 16 to 18 minutes, switching pans halfway through, until toothpick inserted in center of cakes comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.Make Mascarpone Cream::
5. Beat the 1 cup cream and the 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar in mixer bowl to soft peaks. Beat in mascarpone and the 2 tablespoons liqueur just until stiff.
7. Cut out a 10-1/2x7-1/2-inch cardboard rectangle; cover with foil. Cut one cake in half crosswise to form two 10-1/2x7-1/2-inch layers. Carefully lift one half off wax paper; place on top of cardboard. Spread with about one third of Mascarpone Cream. Sprinkle with 1/2 pint of the raspberries; gently press raspberries into cream. Top with second cake half; spread with another third Mascarpone Cream only. Cut remaining cake to same size. Place one half over Mascarpone Cream; spread top with remaining Mascarpone Cream and sprinkle with another 1/2 pint of the raspberries. Top with remaining cake.Make Chantilly Cream::
8. Beat the 1-1/2 cups cream and the 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar in bowl to soft peaks. Beat in the 1 tablespoon liqueur and the 1 teaspoon vanilla just until stiff.
9. Spread top and sides of cake with cream. Garnish with remaining 1/2 pint raspberries. Makes 20 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare cake. Cover and freeze cake up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature 30 minutes. Prepare Chantilly Cream and frost cake as directed.
- Servings Per Recipe 20
- Fat, total(g)29,
- sat. fat(g)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet