Yield: 24 marshmallows Prep 45 mins Stand 4 hrs
- 2 packages packages plus 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 2/3 cup cold water, divided
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups black colored sugar
- 1 1/2 cups orange colored sugar
- 1 1 pound box confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder* or 3 large egg whites
DirectionsMake Homemade Marshmallows::
1. Sprinkle gelatin over 1/3 cup of the cold water. Let stand 10 minutes until softened; set aside.
2. Bring granulated sugar and remaining 1/3 cup water to boil in small covered saucepan. Uncover; boil 5 minutes. Pour into large bowl of standing mixer. Add corn syrup and gelatin; stir until dissolved. Beat at medium speed to stiff peaks, 10 to 20 minutes. Beat in vanilla.
3. Dot corners of a jelly-roll pan with marshmallow; line with waxed paper. Spread remaining marshmallow into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle. Sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar; let stand until firm.
4. Spread colored sugar on two separate plates. Cut out shapes from marshmallow with 2-1/2-inch cookie cutter. Remove cutouts from pan with metal spatula; coat in colored sugar. Transfer to waxed paper. Rinse cookie cutter with water. Repeat process.Make Decorative Icing::
5. Combine all icing ingredients in large bowl. (If using egg whites, substitute 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar for the meringue powder and omit the cold water.) Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until smooth. Increase speed to high and beat 5 minutes until thick (adding up to 1 tablespoon more cold water for piping consistency, if necessary). Store in tightly covered containers up to 3 days. Makes 2-3/4 cups
6. Decorate marshmallows with Decorative Icing as desired. Makes 24 marshmallows.
- Meringue powder may be purchased from supermarkets, specialty baking stores or Wilton Enterprises, 800-794-5866.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!