Four-Cheese Mushroom Lasagna
Kitchen Cue: Adding a splash of orange juice to your tomatoes in this Four-Cheese Mushroom Lasagna imparts sweetness to the sauce, giving it the flavor of freshly picked vine-ripened tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for pans
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 28 - 32 ounce cans crushed tomatoes in thick puree
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 10 ounce containers white mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 15 ounce container part-skim ricotta
- 1 8 ounce log plain soft goat cheese, softened
- 12 (7- by 6-inch) no-boil lasagna sheets, about 1 pound
- 3/4 pound (3 cups) part-skim mozzarella, coarsely grated
- 1 1/4 cups finely grated fresh parmesan
1. Heat oil in a 5-quart pot over moderate heat. Add two-thirds of onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add oregano and garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with puree; simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and reduced to 8-1/2 cups, about 50 minutes. Stir in juice; salt and pepper to taste.
2. Pulse mushrooms, in batches, in a food processor until finely chopped. Melt butter in a large skillet over moderate heat and add remaining one-third of onion; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme; cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and mushrooms begin to turn golden brown, about 20 minutes.
3. Stir together ricotta, goat cheese, and freshly ground black pepper to taste in a bowl until combined well. Mix half of cheese mixture with mushrooms.
4. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Arrange rack in middle of oven. Coat two 13- by 9-inch glass dishes with oil. Soak lasagna sheets in a shallow pan of hot water until softened and pliable, about 10 minutes.
5. Evenly spread 1-1/2 cups sauce in bottom of each dish. Top each with 2 drained noodles, overlapping if necessary. Evenly spread each with half of mushroom-cheese mixture. Sprinkle each with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan.
6. Top each with 2 drained noodles, then 1-1/2 cups sauce and divide remaining ricotta mixture between the two, spreading evenly. Sprinkle each with 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup parmesan.
7. Finish with remaining 2 drained noodles and divide remaining sauce between dishes, spreading evenly. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in middle of oven until puffed and sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle tops with remaining mozzarella and parmesan. Bake, uncovered, until cheese melts, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let lasagna stand 15 minutes before cutting into squares and serving. Makes 12 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Fat, total(g)22,
- sat. fat(g)12,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet