Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken with Rice)
- 6 small skinless bone-in chicken breast halves (about 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 chipotle chile (from canned chipotle in adobo sauce)
- 1 14 ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups instant rice
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro lime wedges, for serving
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Combine oregano, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle half of spice mixture over chicken and rub in with fingers; set remaining aside.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add chicken and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a 6-quartslow cooker.
3. Place canned tomatoes, onion, garlic, chipotle and remaining spice mixture in a blender. Cover and blend until almost smooth; pour over chicken. Add broth.
4. Cover and cook, 4 to 5 hours on low or 2 to 2-1/2 hours on high. Gently stir in rice, cover and cook on high, stirring once, 30 minutes. Turn cooker off, stir in peas, cover and let stand 15 minutes.
5. Cut cherry tomatoes in half and toss with cilantro; serve over chicken and rice with lime wedges on the side.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet