Caribbean Chicken and Beef Skewers
Yield: 20 skewers Prep 30 mins Grill 8 mins
- 2 4 ounce packages sugar-cane sticks, or 20 (6-inch) wooden or metal skewers
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or 2 pounds boneless beef sirloin
- 1 tablespoon safflower or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons green pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Assorted bottled sauces, such as yellow or red sweet pepper sauce or blueberry BBQ sauce
1. Cut each sugar-cane stick in half crosswise with sharp, heavy-duty scissors or a knife. Then cut one end of each to form a point (or soak wooden skewers in shallow pan in enough water to cover, for 30 minutes).
2. Cut chicken into 1-1/4-inch chunks (about 40 pieces), or slice beef into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 40).
3. Toss chicken (or beef) with oil, pepper sauce, garlic, thyme, salt and cinnamon. (If desired, cover and refrigerate overnight.)
4. Heat grill or grill pan.
5. Thread one piece of chicken or beef on sugar cane or 2 pieces onto each skewer. Grill chicken 8 to 10 minutes, turning as pieces brown, until cooked through (for beef, cook 3 minutes per side). Serve with assorted sauces. Makes 20 skewers.
6. Nutrition Facts below are per skewer with chicken. Facts per beef skewer are: 65 cal., 4 g total fat (1.5 g sat. fat), 21 mg Chloe., 78 mg sodium, 0 g carbo., 0 g dietary fiber, 6 g protein.
- Fat, total(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet