Chicken Adobo with Spicy Black-Bean Salsa
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans or 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- 1/2 Scotch Bonnet chile, seeded and minced, or 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Cooked rice
- Sliced lime, for garnish
1. For the adobo sauce, whisk lime juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper together in a medium glass bowl. Add chicken; cover and marinate in the refrigerator 1 to 2 hours, turning 2 to 3 times.
2. Heat and oil grill.
3. For the black-bean salsa, fifteen minutes before grilling chicken, combine black beans, mango, red onion, mint, chile, lime juice, olive oil, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
4. Remove chicken from marinade; pat dry with paper towels. Grill chicken 6 minutes; brush with marinade. (Discard remaining marinade.) Turn and grill 4 minutes more, or until done (instant read thermometer inserted near the center registers 170 degree F).
5. Transfer chicken to cutting board and let rest 2 minutes; slice each breast 1/2 inch thick on the diagonal. Arrange chicken breasts and salsa on 4 dinner plates. Serve with rice; garnish with lime slices, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)3,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet