Chicken and Beef Sate
Skirt steak and chicken strips are marinated in a coconut milk and lemongrass mixture, then grilled and served with a peanut dipping sauce in this dinner recipe.
- 1 3/4 cups coconut milk
- 3 lemongrass stalks, tough outer leaves removed, trimmed, first 4 inches from root end chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc nam or nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (1-1/2 pounds) skirt steak, cut crosswise into 24 (1-by-5-inch) strips
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut diagonally into 18 (1-by-5-inch) strips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus additional for grill
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon purchased red curry paste
- 1 cup roasted salted peanuts, finely ground
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 42 (8-inch-long) bamboo skewers (soaked in water 30 minutes)
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. Pulse together coconut milk, the lemongrass, shallot, 2 tablespoons juice, the fish sauce, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, the garlic, salt, cumin, and turmeric in a food processor until smooth. Divide mixture between 2 resealable plastic bags, place steak in one and chicken in the other, then seal bags and turn until meat is coated well. Marinate, chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight, placing bags in large bowls to catch any leaks.
2. Heat oil in a small heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Add curry paste and remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar; cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in remaining 3/4 cup coconut milk, the peanuts, cilantro, and remaining 2 tablespoons juice (or to taste), for peanut dipping sauce.
3. Remove steak and chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and thread on drained skewers.
4. Preheat grill and lightly oil rack. Combine vinegar and granulated sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes, for basting sauce.
5. Grill meat, brushing both sides with basting sauce during last minute of cooking, turning once, until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes, and steak, turning once, about 2 minutes for medium-rare (discard remaining basting sauce). Arrange skewers on a platter and serve with peanut dipping sauce. Makes 8 servings.