Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 3 1/2pound whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces and skin removed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large leeks, trimmed and sliced (white part only)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
1. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Combine the 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning and the chicken in a resealable plastic storage bag; seal bag and shake to coat.
2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken; reduce heat to medium and cook until well browned. Set aside. Repeat with remaining chicken. Discard drippings. Cook leeks and onion 5 minutes, until softened. Add enough water to broth to equal 2-1/2 cups; pour into Dutch oven. Add chicken, carrots, celery, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes, until chicken is tender. Stir in peas.
3. For dumplings, combine the 1-1/2 cups flour, the parsley, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Add half-and-half cream and stir until dough is moistened. Drop 8 heaping tablespoons of dough into Dutch oven. Cover and simmer 12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in dumpling comes out clean. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)22,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!