- 4 ounces smoked or thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 2 medium all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 red sweet pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- 1/2 pound shiitake or white mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spinach salad, (optional)
1. Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat 2 minutes. Add bacon and cook 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
2. Meanwhile, combine potatoes and 1/4 cup of the chicken broth in a 9-inch square microwave proof dish. Cover with plastic wrap, turning back one corner to vent. Microwave potatoes on 100 percent power (High) 5 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid and set potatoes aside.
3. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of drippings from skillet. Add onions, bell pepper, salt and ground red pepper and cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook, stirring, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add remaining 3/4 cup chicken broth, chicken, apple, parsley, potatoes and oil. Reduce heat to medium and cook hash, stirring, until some pieces become brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Serve with spinach salad, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)15,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet