Chicken Quesadillas with Salsa Fresca
- 6 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onions, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 10 inches flour tortillas
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese (8 oz.)
1. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, onions, parsley, garlic, lime juice, red-pepper flakes, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.Make Quesadillas::
2. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with chili powder, remaining salt, and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken (in 2 batches, if necessary) and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden and cooked through. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let cool 5 minutes; cut into strips and set aside.
3. Add remaining oil to the same skillet over medium heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until they have given up their liquid. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl. Carefully wipe skillet clean with a paper towel.
4. Heat skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese and 1/4 of mushrooms over surface of tortilla and continue cooking until cheese begins to melt, about 1 minute. Add 1/4 of chicken over one half of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half over the chicken and continue cooking until it is crisp on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining tortillas, cheese, mushrooms, and chicken. Cut into wedges and serve with salsa.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)30,
- sat. fat(g)12,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet