Chicken Soup with Mushrooms and Cavatappi
- 4 chicken thighs skinless (1-1/4 lbs.)
- 1 8 ounce large boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces shiitake or white mushrooms, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch-thick diagonal pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, without skins
- 4 1/2inch slices fresh ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 14 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cavatappi or elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups chopped kale or Swiss chard
1. With a small, sharp knife, cut chicken thighs along the bone, removing as much thigh meat as possible. Reserve bones. Cut thigh and breast meat into 1-inch pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a small Dutch oven. Cook thigh meat until golden brown on all sides. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add remaining oil. Cook chicken breast until golden brown on all sides; transfer to another bowl.
3. Add mushrooms to Dutch oven and cook 5 minutes. Add to chicken breast. Add onion, carrots, garlic, ginger and bay leaf to Dutch oven; cook 3 to 5 minutes, until vegetables soften. Stir in chicken broth, reserved thigh meat and bones. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Remove garlic cloves, mash and return to broth. Add pasta, chicken breast, mushrooms and kale. Cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Discard bones. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)10,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!