Chicken with Yogurt Marinade and Summer-Berry Chutney
- 1 32 ounce container plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 1/2 cups assorted berries (strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries), divided
- 1 peach, peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1 3 1/2 - 4 pound whole chicken
1. For the marinade, in a large bowl mix together yogurt, salt, cumin, curry powder, tumeric, paprika and pepper. Place chicken in the marinade, coating all sides well. Refrigerate chicken in marinade 2 to 24 hours.
2. Meanwhile, for the chutney, in a medium saucepan over medium heat combine sugar, vinegar, ginger, and cinnamon and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, stir in one cup berries, peach, and cloves and simmer 2 minutes. Let cool completely. Finely chop remaining 1/2 cup berries and add to chutney. Serve chilled, if desired.
3. Prepare a covered grill for direct grilling. Remove chicken from marinade (reserving marinade for basting). With a pan of water nestled in coals under the chicken, grill chicken, breast side up over a low flame, 1 hour. Cover chicken, then turn every 10 minutes, brushing chicken with the marinade each time. Continue to grill, covered, turning and brushing with the marinade until the leg is loose and the skin is crisp, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. (Do not brush chicken with marinade the last 20 minutes of grilling.) Uncover chicken the last 6 minutes of grilling, turning once. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with chutney. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)17,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!