Easy Chicken Biryani
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced root to tip
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 (about 1-3/4 lbs) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
- 5 tablespoons biryani curry paste, or mild curry paste
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Soak rice in warm water for 10 min, then rinse in cold water until the water runs clear; drain well in a fine sieve.
2. Heat butter in a 4- to 5-qt casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the onion and bay leaf; cook until soft, about 10 min. Stir in the cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, chicken and curry paste and cook until aromatic, about 2 min. Stir in rice, raisins and broth. Cover, increase heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done, 15 to 18 min. Uncover and cook until liquid is gone, about 5 min. Turn off heat, replace lid and let stand for 10 min.
3. Gently stir in the peas and half the cilantro. Top with the rest of the cilantro and almonds.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)15,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet