Herb-Crusted Chicken with Beets and Carrots
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup cornflake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
- 1 pound baby carrots, peeled
- 3/4 pound beets
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1. Heat oven to 375 degree F. Lightly spray a rack with nonstick cooking spray and place in a baking pan. In a shallow pie plate combine buttermilk and pepper. In another shallow pie plate combine cornflake crumbs, 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons each of the cilantro, basil, and tarragon. Dip each piece of chicken into buttermilk, then into the cornflake mixture so that both sides are well coated. Arrange chicken on prepared rack and set aside.
2. Toss carrots with 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil on a jelly-roll pan. Wrap each beet in foil and add to pan. Bake vegetables on one rack and chicken on another until cooked through, 20 minutes. Sprinkle chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt, cover and keep warm.
3. Remove beets from foil and slip off skins using a paper towel. Cut into quarters if necessary. Toss beets and carrots with remaining olive oil, cilantro, basil, and salt and serve with chicken. Makes 4 servings.
VariationMake it Kid Friendly:
- Skip the cilantro and basil. Instead sprinkle grated Parmesan in with the cornflake crumbs.
- Chicken cutlets make great sandwiches. Try them on multigrain bread topped with arugula and a spread made from a combination of Dijon mustard and fat-free mayonnaise.
TipPair it With:
- Ecco Domani 2002 Merlot, Italy, $10. The sweet taste and soft texture of the vegetables pair well with this mellow red wine filled with cherry, spice, and licorice.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)10,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!