Italian Pot Pie with Parmesan-Cheese Crust
Yield: 2 pot pies, 6 servings per pot pie Prep 45 mins Chill 30 mins Bake 375°F 40 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, cut up
- 6 - 7 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 35 ounce can whole tomatoes in juice
- 3 pounds Swiss chard
- 2 - 4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cooked zucchini
1. For Parmesan pastry, pulse flour, the 2/3 cup Parmesan, and the salt in food processor to blend. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles course crumbs. Sprinkle 5 tablespoons water over mixture. Pulse, adding remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons water if necessary, just until mixture is moistened and begins to hold together (dough should still be crumbly). Gather dough into a disk; cut in half and shape into two disks. Wrap disks and refrigerate 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook 3 to 5 minutes, until browned. Transfer to bowl with a slotted spoon. Discard excess drippings. Increase heat to high; add chicken to skillet and cook 3 to 5 minutes, turning chicken occasionally, until lightly browned. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes, until tender. Add tomatoes and juice; bring to a boil, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon, then reduce heat and simmer 7 to 8 minutes more. Add sausage and cool.
3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 375 degrees F. Trim stems from chard and coarsely slice leaves and stems. Bring 1/2 cup water, chard stems and leaves to a boil in large pot. Cover and cook 9 to 10 minutes, until stems are tender. Drain in colander, pressing out excess liquid with a spoon.
4. Stir chard into cooled chicken-sausage mixture; divide mixture between two 2-quart baking dishes. Divide and sprinkle 2 tablespoons Parmesan over tops of filling.
5. Roll each pastry disk so it extends 1 inch beyond edge of each baking dish. Place pastry on top of each dish, pressing pastry against side of dish to seal in filling. Cut 2 slits in center of each. Bake pot pies 40 to 45 minutes, until tops are golden and filling is bubbly. Makes 6 servings per pot pie.
Make Ahead Tip
- If you dont want to serve both casseroles at once, one or both can be frozen for a later time. Tightly wrap dishes and freeze up to 2 weeks. To serve, unwrap dishes and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Bake in a 350 degree F oven 30 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 375 degree F and bake 45 minutes more. Serve as above.
- Save time by using purchased plain pastry. For more Parmesan flavor, sprinkle each casseroles with 2 tablespoons Parmesan before adding pastry.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Fat, total(g)22,
- sat. fat(g)11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!