Lacquered Chicken with Roasted Leeks, Fennel, and Shiitake Salad
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 3/4 pounds leeks, ends trimmed, dark-green leaves discarded
- 1 1/2 pounds fennel with fronds
- Olive oil cooking spray, for pan
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and tops quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, fat trimmed
- 4 cups (7-1/2 oz.) coarsely chopped escarole
1. Whisk together 1 tablespoon hoisin, the vinegar, honey, ginger, and mustard in a small bowl; salt and pepper to taste, for vinaigrette.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degree F and arrange rack in lower third. Halve leeks lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Wash thoroughly and drain well. Chop 1/4 cup fennel fronds; reserve. Halve fennel bulbs lengthwise, core and halve again lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
3. Lightly coat a large nonstick shallow baking pan with cooking spray. Toss together leeks, fennel, mushrooms, and allspice in prepared pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 18 minutes. Stir in half of garlic and roast 2 more minutes.
4. Meanwhile, rinse chicken and pat dry. Arrange, in a single layer, over vegetables. Stir together remaining 2 tablespoons hoisin and garlic in a small bowl; spoon evenly over chicken. Roast until chicken is cooked through, about 17 minutes.
5. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes before cutting crosswise into thin slices.
6. Meanwhile, transfer vegetables to a bowl; toss with escarole, fronds, and three-quarters of vinaigrette. Divide between serving bowls and top with chicken. Serve remaining vinaigrette on the side. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)4,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!