Moroccan Chicken Stew
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutes)
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 large carrots, cubed (1 cup)
- 1 large zucchini (8 oz.), cubed
- 8 prunes, halved
- 4 cups hot cooked couscous
1. With the flat side of a large knife, crush garlic with salt to form a paste. Combine paste with ginger, pepper and oil in large resealable plastic storage bag. Add chicken, seal bag and toss to coat. Cover and marinate chicken in the refrigerator, tossing occasionally, 4 hours or overnight.
2. Heat butter in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken smooth side down and cook 5 minutes, turning once, until lightly browned. Add water, onions, parsley, cinnamon and turmeric. Bring mixture just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Remove chicken with slotted spoon to a bowl. Cover and keep warm. Add carrots and zucchini to Dutch oven. Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add chicken and prunes. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Serve with couscous. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)12,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!