Prosciutto-and-Mozzarella-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 pound sliced prosciutto or smoked ham, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sage
- 6 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs.)
- 1/4 pound mozzarella, cut into 4 slices
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Combine prosciutto, pepper, and sage in small bowl.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic, salt, and rosemary; cook 30 seconds. Add mushrooms; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until mushrooms are softened. Uncover; cook 7 to 8 minutes more until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are browned. Transfer to medium bowl.
3. Meanwhile, with sharp knife, make a 3- to 4-inch slit lengthwise along one side of each breast, cutting almost (but not) through to form a pocket. Stuff each pocket with 1 slice mozzarella. Divide prosciutto mixture and stuff evenly on top of cheese. Place flour in a large plate; add chicken, turning to coat both sides.
4. Combine broth and cornstarch in cup. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in skillet. Add chicken and cook 2 minutes until lightly browned. Gently turn chicken; add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and cook 2 minutes more. Add wine; cook 30 seconds. Add broth mixture and mushrooms. Cover; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Garnish with parsley. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)20,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!