Roast Sage Chicken with Pancetta and Cabbage
- 1 5 1/2 - 6 1/2pound roasting chicken
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound pancetta or smoked ham, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fennel
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 1/2 pounds green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Fresh sage leaves, for garnish
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange chicken in shallow roasting pan or heavy jelly-roll pan. With fingertips, separate skin from breast and legs of chicken. Tuck sage leaves under skin. Drizzle chicken with the 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle with the 1/4 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Roast 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in thigh registers 180 degrees F.
2. For the cabbage, heat a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring, until browned and crisp. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towels. Add the 2 tablespoons oil; stir in fennel and onions (and ham, if using); cook 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Reduce heat to medium. Add cabbage, the 1/4 cup chicken broth, the 1/2 teaspoon salt and red pepper. Cover and cook 12 to 15 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Add vinegar; stir and transfer to serving bowl. Cover and keep warm.
3. Transfer chicken to serving platter; cover and keep warm. Pour drippings into measuring cup; skim fat. Add the 1/2 cup chicken broth to cup; whisk in flour. Add to roasting pan and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits; boil 1 minute. Carefully pour gravy through a sieve into gravy bowl. Serve chicken with gravy and Cabbage. Garnish with fresh sage leaves, if desired. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)45,
- sat. fat(g)12,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!