Sesame Chicken Skewers with Ginger Slaw
- 1/2 head (about 2 pounds) napa or savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, halved, stems and seeds discarded, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, halved, stems and seeds discarded, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound snow peas, trimmed, cut lengthwise into thin slices
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1-1/2 pounds total), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 (6-inch) bamboo skewers
1. Toss together cabbage, bell peppers, snow peas, scallion and cucumber in a large serving bowl, for ginger slaw; set aside.
2. Whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sugar and pepper flakes in another bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add 13 cup oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly, until thickened and emulsified, for dressing; set aside.
3. Whisk together egg and hoisin sauce in a shallow bowl; add chicken and turn until coated on all sides. Combine sesame seeds, cornstarch and salt in a shallow bowl. Thread chicken onto skewers and roll in sesame mixture, coating well on all sides.
4. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Add skewers and cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides and chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Pour dressing over ginger slaw and toss until coated well; serve with warm chicken skewers.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)36,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet