Smoked Chicken Quesadillas with Mango Salsa
Cumin-flavored goat cheese is spread on the tortillas for these chicken and red onion quesadillas. Along with fruit salsa, they make a healthy meal in just 30 minutes.
- 1/3 cup sliced red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Pinch sugar
- 1 firm-ripe mango, peeled, cut (avoiding pit) into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 ounces low-fat soft mild plain goat cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 (7-inch) low-fat flour tortillas
- 5 ounces purchased cooked smoked chicken breast or deli-sliced smoked turkey, coarsely chopped
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Toss together onion, 1 tablespoon juice, and the sugar in a small bowl. Marinate onion at room temperature, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, stir together mango, 1/4 cup cilantro, and 1 tablespoon juice in another bowl; salt and pepper to taste, for mango salsa.
3. Using a fork, stir together cheese, cumin, and remaining 1 tablespoon juice until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Spread cheese mixture on one side of each of 4 tortillas; top with onion, remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and the chicken. Cover with remaining tortillas, pressing together.
5. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Cook each quesadilla, turning once, until golden brown and cheese begins to melt, about 3 minutes (add remaining oil as needed). Transfer to a cutting board and cut into wedges. Serve with mango salsa. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)10,
- sat. fat(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet