Stir-Fry Sunday Supper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 pound shiitake or portobello mushrooms, stems discarded, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated carrot
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- Sliced scallion, for garnish
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut in half and pound slightly to thin. Cut crosswise into thin strips (about 1/4-inch thick).
2. Whisk together garlic, soy sauce, 2 teaspoons cornstarch and the ginger in a large bowl, for marinade. Add chicken, turning to coat, cover and chill 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Whisk together juice and remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch in a small bowl until dissolved.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a heavy skillet over high heat, until hot but not smoking. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade) and add to skillet; saute, turning occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil, the mushrooms, carrot, and celery to same skillet; saute over moderately high heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet; add juice-cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Stir until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
5. Serve over rice and garnish with scallion, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!