Warm Asian Chicken Salad
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese low-alcohol sweet rice wine)*
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons tamari sauce* or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/3 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon packed fresh basil leaves. coarsely chopped
- 1 cup broken Asian rice sticks*
- 6 cups mesclun or mixed salad greens
- 1 bunch or bag (4 to 6 oz.) radishes, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin strips
1. For the marinade, combine 2 tablespoons mirin, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic storage bag.
2. Add chicken, seal bag, and toss to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours.
3. For the dressing combine 1/2 cup mirin, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 4 teaspoons tamari sauce, 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, 1/2 teaspoon garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup.
4. Remove chicken from marinade; pat lightly with paper towels. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken and cook 4 minutes, until browned. Turn, add basil and cook chicken 4 minutes more, until just cooked through. Cover and set aside.
5. Heat remaining 1/3 cup vegetable oil in 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Carefully add half the rice sticks. Turn with tongs and cook until puffed and very light brown, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat and immediately transfer rice sticks with tongs to paper towels to drain well. Return pan to heat and repeat process with remaining rice sticks; drain.
6. Toss salad greens, radishes, and carrots with 3 tablespoons dressing in a large bowl. Cut chicken into small strips. Divide greens among 4 serving plates; divide and top with chicken, then rice sticks. Serve with remaining dressing. Makes 4 servings.
- Available in Asian section of the supermarket or from Asian specialty stores.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)21,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet