Warm Spinach Salad with Chicken and Caramelized Onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 3 medium sweet onions (about 1-1/2 lbs.), thinly sliced
- 6 ounces sliced bacon (about 8 slices)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounce bags (5 oz.) baby spinach (washed and trimmed)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often until golden brown and caramelized, about 15 to 25 minutes. Transfer onions to a small bowl, cover and keep warm. Add bacon to skillet and cook over medium-high heat until crisp, 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel and drain. Crumble bacon and set aside. Discard bacon fat from skillet.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan place chicken, 1 teaspoon salt, and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain. When cool enough to handle, cut chicken into slices and set aside.
3. In a small microwave proof bowl, combine remaining olive oil, remaining salt, vinegar, mustard, thyme, and pepper. Heat in microwave on High 1 minute. In large bowl, pour hot vinaigrette over spinach, onions, and tomatoes and toss well to coat. Transfer mixture to a serving platter and arrange chicken and bacon over top. Serve immediately. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)24,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet