- 2 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 two-layer red velvet cake (see recipe center)
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
1. Heat oven to 250 degrees F with two racks centered. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar in a heat-proof bowl. Place over a pot of simmering water and whisk gently until sugar is dissolved, about 3 min. Remove from heat. With an electric mixer, whisk on medium-high until a stiff meringue forms, about 10 min.
2. Transfer meringue to a piping bag fitted with a #12 plain tip, then pipe 3-1/2- to 4-inch-long bone shapes on baking sheets. Bake 20 min. Turn oven off and let meringues dry in oven for 30 min more. Let bones cool before carefully removing from parchment paper.
3. Coat one cake layer with 1/2 cup frosting and top with second layer. Frost entire cake and refrigerate to set, 30 min or overnight. Decorate with whole and broken bones before serving. Makes 12 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 12
- Fat, total(g)28,
- sat. fat(g)17,
- Monosaturated fat(g)7,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)1,
- vit. A(IU)875,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg)0,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg)0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Yield: 3 cups
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
- 1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 - 4 tablespoons milk
1. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese together until creamy, about 2 min. Stir in cocoa. Add confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing well. Beat in vanilla and milk and stir until smooth. Can be refrigerated up to one week; bring to room temperature and stir before using Makes 3 cups.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!