Chocolate-Orange Cardamon Cookies
These slice-and-bake cookies smell amazing as they bake. Keep a roll in the freezer, thaw slightly and make just before your guests arrive.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- Gold crystal sugar
- Edible glitter stars
- Gold luster dust
1. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and ground cardamom; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar with orange zest until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla, then stir in the flour mixture. Blend until just combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
2. Transfer dough to a square of parchment, form into a log 2 inches in diameter and roll tightly in parchment. Refrigerate until solid, about 1 hr, rotating every 20 min to maintain shape.
3. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly brush the dough log with egg white. Place sanding sugar and star sprinkles in a rimmed pan and roll log in sprinkles until coated well. Or you can apply luster dust to the log with a soft brush. (We divided the log in thirds, and decorated each with different sprinkles.) Slice the log into rounds that are about a 1/4 inch thick. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets an inch apart.
4. Bake until cookies are set and there is slight resistance when you touch centers, 9 to 10 min. Cool on pans. Store airtight up to 1 week. Makes 40 cookies.