Classic Chili for a Crowd
Yield: 17 CUPS
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 pounds lean ground beef
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 jalapenos, seeded if desired, finely diced
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup tomato juice or brewed coffee
- 3 15 ounce can diced tomatoes with juices
- 3 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in an 8-qt pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browned, about 7 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer browned meat to a bowl and discard any juices in the pot.
2. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to the pot with the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, all the spices and salt and continue to cook until the vegetables are well coated and mixture darkens a bit and becomes fragrant. Stir in tomato juice or coffee, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pot, and then add tomatoes with their juices, beans, browned meat and 1 1/2 cups water.
3. Bring to a simmer and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili has thickened, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the vinegar and season to taste with salt.Vegetarian Version::
4. Prepare classic chili, omitting the meat, and saute 3 diced carrots with the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cover and cook until carrots are soft, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Add 2 15-oz cans rinsed and drained lentils along with the kidney beans. Add 2 cups thawed frozen corn during the last 5 minutes.
TipMex it Up!
- With leftover chili, make a South-of-the-Border cobbler. Spread chili in a baking dish, top with biscuit dough, bake at 375 degrees F until biscuits are cooked and chili is bubbling.
- Try black beans in place of kidney beans.
- Use ground turkey for a low-fat option.
- Saute diced bell pepper with onion.
- Top with pickled jalapenos, salsa verde, tortillas chips or crisp jicama.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!