- 4 cups sliced fresh rhubarb (1 lb.)
- 1 pint strawberries, halved
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cut up
- 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
1. Heat oven to 425 degree F. Combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, cornstarch, and water in large saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring. Pour into 9-inch square or 2-1/2-quart shallow baking dish. Set aside.Make Topping::
2. Combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, lemon peel, and salt in large bowl. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream just until blended. On lightly floured surface, knead just until mixture holds together. Roll into 8-inch square or other shape 1 inch smaller than dish. Place on hot rhubarb mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
3. Place dish on cookie sheet. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)12,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!