- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter (no substitutions), cut up
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons heavy or whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 pints fresh strawberries, hulled and divided
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 heavy or whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Vegetable cooking spray
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9-inch round cake pan with vegetable cooking spray. Set aside.Make Shortcake::
2. Combine flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder and salt in large bowl. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Beat milk and egg in glass measure. Gradually add milk mixture to dry ingredients, tossing with a fork until dry ingredients are just moistened and dough begins to hold together. On lightly floured surface, gather dough into a ball; knead gently 3 to 4 times just until smooth. Gently press into prepared pan.Make Glaze::
3. Brush top of dough with the 2 teaspoons cream, then sprinkle evenly with the 2 teaspoons sugar.
4. Bake 23 to 25 minutes or until top of shortcake is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Run a small knife around edge of pan and invert onto rack. Remove pan and invert cake again right side up onto rack; cool completely.Make Filling::
5. Meanwhile, mash 1-1/2 cups of the strawberries with the 6 tablespoons sugar in medium bowl. Slice and stir in remaining strawberries. Stir in lemon juice. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves and strawberries are juicy.Make Whipped Cream::
6. Beat the 1-1/2 cups cream, the 2 tablespoons sugar and the vanilla in large bowl on high speed of electric mixer to soft peaks.To assemble::
7. Split shortcake in half horizontally. Transfer bottom half to large dessert plate. Spoon half of the filling over bottom, then top with half of the whipped cream. Cover cream with remaining half of shortcake; spoon on remaining cream and berries. Garnish with mint leaves, if desired. Cut into 8 wedges. Makes 8 servings.To make individual shortcakes::
8. Grease a large cookie sheet. On lightly floured surface, roll shortcake dough 1/2 inch thick. With a 3-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out circles and transfer to prepared sheet. Gather and re-roll scraps to make 8 biscuits total. Glaze. Bake 16 to 18 minutes, or until tops are golden. Cool on wire rack. Split horizontally, then fill as directed.
Make Ahead Tip
- Shortcake tastes best the day you bake it, but it can be frozen up to one month. Warm the cake in the oven, then assemble just before serving.
VariationPecan Praline Shortcake with Peaches:
- Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed except, for shortcake, substitute 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar for granulated sugar. Cut in butter as directed; stir in 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans. For glaze, add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to sugar. For filling, substitute 6 medium ripe peaches, sliced, for strawberries and increased granulated sugar to 1/3 cup. (Do not mash fruit.) Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. For whipped cream, add 1 teaspoon bourbon. Makes 8 servings. Nutritional Information: 570 calories, 34.5 g total fat, 18.5 g saturated fat, 123 mg cholesterol, 358 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrates, and 7 g protein.
VariationChocolate Shortcake with Cherries:
- Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed except, for shortcake, increased granulated sugar to 1/2 cup and reduce baking powder to 2-1/2 teaspoons. Add 1/3 cup Dutch processed cocoa to dry ingredients. Cut in butter as directed; stir in 3 squares (3 oz.) finely chopped bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. for filling, substitute 5 cups fresh Bing cherries, pitted and halved, for strawberries and increased granulated sugar to 1/2 cup. (Do not mash fruit.) Let stand 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For white chocolate whipped cream, combine 3 squares (3 oz.) white chocolate, finely chopped, and 1/4 cup of the cream in small microwaveproof bowl. Microwave on High 30 to 60 seconds, stirring every 10 seconds until mixture is smooth. Let stand until cool, about 15 minutes. Beat remaining cream and vanilla in large mixer bowl until thickened. Add white chocolate mixture and beat just to soft peaks.
- Nutritional Information: 660 calories, 38.5 g total fat, 22.5 g saturated fat, 123 mg cholesterol, 360 mg sodium, 77 g carbohydrates, and 9 g protein.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)31,
- sat. fat(g)19,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet