Apricot Frangipane Bars
Yield: 50 bars Prep 30 mins Bake 400°F 15 mins Bake 350°F 30 mins Cool 1 hr
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups (12 oz.) dried apricots
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter (no substitutions), cut up
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 - 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tube (7 oz.) or 1 can (8 oz.) almond paste
- 3/4 cup butter (no substitutions), softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
DirectionsMake Apricot Filling::
1. Bring the 2-1/2 cups water, the apricots, and the 3/4 cup granulated sugar to boil in small saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and mash with fork until smooth. Cool completely.Make Crust::
2. Meanwhile, heat oven to 400 degree F. Combine the 2-1/4 cups flour, the 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. With pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the 1/2 cup butter and the shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until mixture is moist enough to hold together. Roll pastry into 15-1/2x10-1/2-inch rectangle and place pastry in same size jelly-roll pan. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.Make Almond Topping::
3. Beat the 1 cup granulated sugar, the almond paste, and the 3/4 cup butter in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the 1/2 cup flour, the vanilla, almond extract, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degree F. Spread apricot filling evenly over baked crust. Top evenly with almond mixture. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until baked through. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into 3x1-inch bars. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Makes 50 bars.
Make Ahead Tip
- The bars can be baked ahead. Wrap well and freeze up to 3 months.
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!