CBK Halloween Cookies
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter (no substitutions), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 box (1 lb.) confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder*
- 6 - 7 tablespoons cold water
- Orange, black, green, blue or red paste food coloring
1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine flour and baking powder in bowl. Beat butter and granulated sugar in mixer bowl. Beat in egg, vanilla and dry ingredients.
3. Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, roll 1 piece dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes with 2-, 3- or 4-inch cookie cutters; transfer to prepared sheets. Bake cookies 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on racks. Repeat.Make Icing::
4. Combine confectioners' sugar and meringue powder in a mixer bowl. Add 6 tablespoons water. Beat 5 minutes or until thick and smooth, adding up to 1 tablespoon more water for piping consistency, if necessary.
5. Divide Icing into bowls for separate colors. (Reserve a bowl of white Icing.) Tint Icing by putting a small amount of food coloring on a toothpick and stir until well blended.
VariationCat and Pumpkin Cookies:
- Spoon one third black or orange Icing into a pastry bag fitted with a number-2 plain tip. Set aside. Thin remaining Icing with a little water, until spreadable. Paint cookies. Let dry 20 minutes, then pipe cookies with reserved Icing.
- Spoon three quarters of white Icing into a pastry bag fitted with a number-44 basket-weave-shaped tip; pipe onto cookies. Tint remaining Icing black; dab on cookies with toothpick to make eyes. Makes about forty 3-inch cookies.
- Meringue powder is available in supermarkets and baking specialty stores.
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!