Chocolate Cinnamon Meringues
Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen Prep 30 mins plus cooling Bake 1 hr 15 mins plus cooling
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 squares (2 oz.) semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1. Heat oven to 225 degree F. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil. In a large mixing bowl at medium speed, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and salt and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Beat in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff. Add the vanilla. With a rubber spatula gently fold in cocoa and cinnamon just until blended. Spoon the meringue into a large pastry bag fitted with a #47 large basket-weave tip. Pipe into 3-inch lengths onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Turn oven off. Cool in oven at least 1-1/2 hours or overnight.
2. Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling water, stirring frequently. Let cool. Carefully peel the meringues from the foil. Dip one tip of each meringue into melted chocolate. Transfer the cookies to wire racks and let stand until chocolate is set. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 3-1/2 dozen.
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!