For the most decadent Chocolate Truffles, use high-quality chocolate such as Valrhona or Scharffen Berger, found in gourmet food shops or specialty baking stores.
Yield: 40 balls Start to Finish 25 mins plus standing and chilling
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 pound semisweet chocolate or 1-1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1. In a small saucepan, heat cream over medium heat until it comes to a simmer. Stir in butter until melted. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate and vanilla until completely melted. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir with a wire whisk until smooth and transfer to a bowl. Let chill until firm, at least 4 hours.
2. Place cocoa in a medium bowl. Using a small spoon, scoop out heaping teaspoonfuls of the chocolate mixture. Working quickly to keep it from melting, roll it between our palms into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in cocoa to coat. Makes 40 balls.To Make These Goodies a Gift::
3. An antique painted box makes a charming presentation for our decadent Rum Balls and Chocolate Truffles. Line the box with a linen napkin to keep the treats from sliding, and place each ball in a mini foil-lined baking cup in gold or silver. (Find them at New York Cake and Baking at 800-942-2539 or www.nycake.com)
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet