Creepy Cookie Creatures
Yield: About 24 bat or ghost cookies or about 4 dozen 2-1/2-inch round cookies Prep 1 hr Bake 8 mins
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup light molasses
- Black food coloring paste*
- Vegetable shortening
- 1 1 pound box confectioners' sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder* or 3 large egg whites
1. Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves and salt in bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl on medium-high speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. With mixer at low speed, gradually beat in dry ingredients just until blended. Divide dough into quarters and flatten into disks. Wrap and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 large cookie sheets with vegetable shortening. On a lightly floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll one disk 1/4-inch thick (keep remaining dough refrigerated). Cut out shapes with 3-inch bat and ghost or 2-1/2-inch round cookie cutters. Transfer to prepared sheets. Bake 8 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets 1 minute, then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat rolling and cutting remaining dough and scraps.Make Decorative Icing::
3. Combine confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder in large bowl. (If using egg whites, substitute 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar for the meringue powder and omit the cold water.) Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until smooth. Increase speed to high and beat 5 minutes or until thick (adding up to 1 tablespoon more cold water for piping consistency, if necessary). If desired, tint part of icing with black coloring for bats. Store in tightly covered containers up to 3 days. Makes 2-3/4 cups.
4. Pipe Decorative Icing onto cookies. Makes about 24 bat or ghost cookies or about 4 dozen 2-1/2-inch round cookies.
- Paste food coloring and meringue powder are available at cake decorating supply stores or from Wilton Enterprises, 800-794-5866.
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!