Yield: 6-1/2 dozen hearts Prep 1 hr Bake 400°F 5 mins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (no substitutions), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream, beaten to soft peaks
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer until creamy. Beat in sugar, corn syrup, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. At low speed, beat in whipped cream. Gradually stir in dry ingredients. On lightly floured surface, knead dough until well blended and smooth. Divide dough into quarters and flatten into disks; wrap well and refrigerate overnight.
2. Heat oven to 400 degree F. Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
3. On lightly floured surface, roll one quarter of the dough 1/8-inch thick (keep remaining dough refrigerated). Cut out with 3-inch heart-shaped cutter and transfer to prepared cookie sheets 1-inch apart. Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until edges begin to color. Cool on wire racks. Repeat with remaining dough, rerolling scraps. Decorate as desired. Makes 6-1/2 dozen hearts.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare cookies. Freeze in airtight containers up to 1 month.