Yield: 4 cups Prep 30 mins Start to Finish 30 mins
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ounces peppermint candies, very finely crushed (1/3 cup)
- Red liquid food coloring (optional)
1. In a large mixer bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1/4 cup water. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, brush down sugar crystals on sides of pan. Place a candy thermometer into mixture. Boil (do not stir) until syrup registers 238 degrees F (soft-ball stage), about 10 minutes. Pour into gelatin.
3. Using the whisk attachment, beat gelatin mixture on medium-low speed until slightly cooled, about 5 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high and beat to soft peaks, about 12 minutes. Stir in candy until combined. Tint with food coloring (if using). Use immediately.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!