Coconut macaroon cookies are made in different sized balls so you can assemble them as snowmen after baking.
Yield: 16 snowmen Prep 35 mins Start to Finish 1 hr
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup macadamia nuts (4-1/4 oz.), finely ground
- 16 5 inches wooden skewers
- 16 mini gift boxes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line 3 large cookie sheets with parchment or waxed paper.
2. Beat egg whites in a large bowl on high speed until foamy, about 1 minute. Add sugar, extract, and salt, beating to stiff peaks, about 5 minutes.
3. Gently fold in 2 cups coconut, then the nuts, until just combined.
4. Roll with damp hands into 32 balls (3/4 inch in diameter) for bottom and middle of snowmen, and 16 balls (1/2 inch in diameter) for the heads. Roll balls in remaining 1-1/2 cups coconut, coating well. Carefully transfer to cookie sheets, placing 1 inch apart.
5. Bake macaroons in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching positions halfway through, until bottoms are pale golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer macaroons on cookie sheets to racks and cool completely.To assemble snowmen::
6. Push 1 skewer into the center of each box and carefully thread 2 of the larger macaroons through the skewer to sit on the box; top with a smaller macaroon for the head. Makes 16 snowmen.